Monday, March 2, 2009

Updates

Soooooo.... I'm apparently really sucky at this blog thing. The fact that I suck at it here, in the U.S., with wireless internet access everyday and my laptop at my fingertips, doesn't really bode well for when I get to Kyrgyzstan and have to go to an internet cafe... I'm blaming my lack of blogging on a lack of exciting news the past few weeks.  BUT I now have exciting news! Thus, the blog. haha

I finally got my staging information!!! With less than a month to go and with flights finally booked, it feels real! I leave Louisville at 6:25AM on  March 27th.  (umm.. 6:25am? ew.) And then I leave from JFK at 4something on the 28th to fly to Bishkek with a 7 hour layover in Istanbul. 

Now that it finally seems real and is so close - COMMENCE PANIC! I have so much to do before I go!  

For example:
get power of attorney transfered to mom
pack
learn the cyrillic alphabet
pack
finish my scrapbook to take with me
pack
get everything ready to pack
and did I mention packing?

The sad thing is that I've already started packing. Most of my clothes are packed. And therein lies the problem. I have too much clothing packed. I've been comparing my packing lists to the lists of some of the other K-17s in my group. (We have a facebook group- awesome) I have about twice as much clothes as everyone else.  Mom and Dad are gonna end up having to ship me most of my winter clothes. (sorry y'all) 

But since I've got so little time in here, I'm starting to think about things that I'm gonna miss the next 27 months. Like internet everyday, hot showers every day, the important things- like my family and friends, my dog, and the little everyday things I take for granted like a washing machine, electricity. haha You get it. 

And then there's the things that I'm not going to miss- worrying about leaving, being unemployed, being a college grad living with the parents (no offense Mom and Dad- I love you but this was not in the ten year plan). 

The worrying about leaving thing is multi-faceted. I'm a worrier. You all know this, but i'm trying really hard to not worry so much. I've gotten better. As in, no more panic attacks when I think about what i'm getting ready to do. haha. But I still worry about a few thing. The whole not-knowing-any-of-the-language-thing is kinda...well...terrifying? Being so far away from my family and not having the support base that i'm used to so close. Teaching kids that are just a few years younger than me. Just to name a few...

Well, since I have so much to do, in addition to the 70+ page pre-departure TEFL study guide (that I have a quiz on), I should probably get off here and go do something. 

I'll try to be better about using this thing. We'll see how it goes. 



Love from KY,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment