Thursday, March 26, 2009

My address for the first 3 months

I copied this from Katie, one of my fellow K-17s. She did an awesome job of summing up all of this info. I couldn't do it better myself, so I decided to copy and paste:

Peace Corps has rented a post office box in Kant for me to receive letters and packages during PST (Pre-Service Training). Mail should be addressed as follows (YOU MUST PUT BOTH THE RUSSIAN AND ENGLISH ADDRESS ON ALL MAIL):

Kyrgyzstan,
722140, Kant city
97 Lenina Street, RUPS
Mailbox # 22
Jessika Coe

Кыргызстан,
ин. 722140, г. Кант
ул. Ленина 97, РУПС
аб. ящик № 22
Jessika Coe

In approximately week #8, I will visit my permanent site. During the visit, I will establish an address where I can receive mail throughout the remainder of my Peace Corps service. I will inform you all of my new address at site because the PST mailbox will close at the end of PST and any mail that arrives after the mailbox is closed will be returned to the sender.

I am told it’s important to tell the postal clerk that the letter/package is to be sent to Kyrgyzstan. The expected time for non-air mail to arrive is 4 to 6 weeks. Air mail is supposed to make it in 4-10 days, but I have heard from current volunteers that it will take several weeks regardless.

SECURITY:

Regardless of the method (surface or air), mail passes through several countries and postal facilities. Mail – especially packages – sent from the U.S. is a favorite target for opening/pilferage and theft/disappearance but there are things that can be done to reduce the risk of pilferage of packages. The primary one is to discourage opening by 1) making it hard and time consuming to open; and 2) making it hard to re-seal it (so that it isn’t so obvious that it was opened). The recommendation is to pack and seal the box (heavily) with tape. Using normal packaging tape and some durable “strapping” tape over it is best. Put an address label on it. Then wrap the box again with brown shipping paper and seal all seems with more tape. Obviously another address label is needed. Again, the idea is to make it look like it will be difficult to open (at all) and to reseal without it being obvious. The second suggestion is to place the symbol of Islam (the Islamic Cresent and Star - see below) on the package in several places. I'm told that this is particularly effective if the symbol is placed along the seams of the outer wrapping – so that it would have to be cut through in order to open the package. The last suggestion (from Peace Corps) for reducing pilferage or theft is to insure the package. I have no idea of the cost and haven’t heard from other volunteers if it has helped. If the USPS will insure a package and it’s affordable, it may make sense. At least the value of the contents could be recovered.

COST AND PACKAGE WEIGHT:

It may pay off to visit the Post Office and learn the “rules” from a postal clerk. Obviously, the costs are very high. I’ve been told that sending packages weighing more than 20 pounds is a huge problem and that it’s actually less expensive to send two lighter packages. Apparently the cost goes up drastically for a package weighing more and we’ve heard of the Postal Service refusing to accept packages over 20 pounds.

I look forward to getting letters from you all!

love from KY for the last day,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment