Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sweet Sweet Kyrgyzstan

I love this country.

Riding in a packed mashruka with a view of poppy fields with a snow-capped mountain range in the background is such an awesome experience.
I'm writing this in an internet cafe in the nearest village with kelly clarkson music playing in the background after coming back from our PST Culture Day. glorious. haha

Culture day was pretty awesome. All the different villages presented an aspect of kyrgyz culture, a kyrgyz food, a talent, and a kyrygz game.

My favorite part of the day was presenting our talent in the talent show. In my opinion, my village was the best. And of course, i'm biased, but not really. haha
we sang a song and i'm gonna share it with you and i expect comments haha.

here it goes:
(to the theme from the fresh prince of bel-air)
Now this is a story all about how,
my life got flip-turned upside down
and we'd like to take a minute
just sit right there
to tell you about our live as peace corps volunteers

we left philadephia, new and unfazed
on an airplane is where we spent three of our days
chillin out maxing out relaxing all cool
final destination: hotel issyk kul
when a couple of guys who were up to some good
started training us about our neighbourhood
i took one little bite and my tummy got scared
i wish dr. eldar could examen me here

i tooshed a marshruka and when it came near
the door broke off cuz 40 people in here
if anything i could see that this place was rare
and all the ladies yelled out "oh damn" to valer

I pulled up to my oohee about 7 or 8 and i yelled to my apa
yo homes chai eech later
looked at my banya i was finally there
to squat on my throne as a peace corps volunteer.

there are a few inside jokes mixed with the kyrgylish that y'all might not understand but im not gonna take the time to explain them right now. if you really want clarification, just shoot me an email and i'll clarify.

i leave in a few days to do my permanent site visit and i'm really excited. i get to meet my new host family, visit my new school, meet my counterparts, and explore my village!

expect a really long blog post soon!!!

happy belated mothers' day to all my mothers and a huge CONGRATS to all of you new or soon to be new grads! i'm so proud of you all!

lovvvvvvve from kyrgyzstan,
jess

No comments:

Post a Comment