Saturday, May 2, 2009

26 April 2009

26 April 2009

I don’t know when I’ll get to actually post this blog, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not gonna keep writing it. Haha. It is Sunday night here, and its been over a week since I wrote my last post. Nothing too exciting has been going on, just more of the same.

Since I wrote last I taught again, had 4528475745894 more hours of language class ( I think they are going pretty well, also, at least my apa tells me I’m getting better), made spaghetti for my host family, banya-ed, helped out at an orphanage, and painted my nails. Haha

Spaghetti was a pretty big hit in my opinion. It is pretty expensive on my salary, but I think it was worth it. Not that I’m really missing American food- I’m not- I just miss being able to cook and cooking something that Apa doesn’t know was my only way. I bought tomato paste, pasta, onions, tomatoes, ground beef, and used the spices I brought from home. (I’m gonna need more garlic powder- it was a big hit- I made garlic bread, too-kinda) I made a freaking ton of spaghetti- I’ve never been so good with the whole –guessing portions- thing. It worked out well because apparently I had family visiting and a lot of people came over. One of the other volunteers is my host mother’s daughter’s host son. So his part of the family came over too. If I can get it to work, I’m going to try to upload the family picture we took.

Oh! Random thought- I got letters from home! Three all in the same day! I was the envy of my village when we went to our hub site! Loved it!

I spent yesterday with the rest of the k-17s helping to fix up an orphanage. The weather was beautiful and warm for the maybe second or third day since I’ve been here. We repainted playground equipment. I ruined my white and blue striped capris with blue oil based paint. It was the first time that I’ve worn them… le sigh… oh well. The slides and swingsets and curbs looked fantastic when we got done. Other groups also fixed up flower beds, cut grass (with a scythe), and mixed concrete for a path. The place looked a little nicer when we got done, and that’s really all we could hope for. We also got to play different games with the children. I got involved in a capture-the-flag game that got pretty intense. I haven’t played that game since elementary school. Haha

I also washed laundry by hand! Needless to say, I’m never letting three weeks worth of clothes accumulate again and I’ve also completely rethought my definition of “dirty” haha.

Apa is calling me to “chai each” drink tea. So I’m gonna make this a short blog.
I’ll write again soon!

Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment