Saturday, May 2, 2009

29 April:Anything your Apa can do, mine can do better!

29 April 2009


Sometimes, I think I have the best host mom anywhere. Then I stop to think, you know, maybe I’m just a wee bit biased… Then I think some more and realize, that no… She’s totally the best. haha

She is so concerned with making sure that I have things that I like. She watches me eat- and the things that I eat more of, she makes more often.

I’m pretty sure that I eat, at bare minimum 2 kilos of tomatoes a week, at least. Apa makes this really good tomato, cucumber and onion dish. I love it. And… I eat it at every meal. Not that I’m complaining. It’s delicious.

Ususally, for breakfast, I have eggs of some sort, the tomato dish and sometimes cheese. And the ever present bread and tea, of course. Usually, I mix my eggs with the veggies and it is kinda like an omelet and sometimes I put a little cheese on it. The cheese here (at least the kind at my house) has the hard edges around it, and I usually pick that off. This morning, when Apa called me to eat breakfast, I had a plate of the tomato and cucumber dish, with boiled eggs on top, and little pieces of the cheese with the edges cut off. How awesome is that!?!? It’s like when your mom cuts the crust off your sandwich for you when you’re little… but better. haha

I’m really getting spoiled… and it is awesome. Apa realized that the only time I drink milk is in my coffee… Now I have coffee for breakfast EVERY morning. Its is great!

She’s also been cooking a lot of food without meat. (awesome) The host families of the volunteers cook us all lunch on a rotating basis, and when we eat at my house we always have a lot of vegetables, and Apa uses big pieces of meat and puts them on top of the bowl, instead of mixed in because she knows I’m going to pick it out. Haha. She also noticed that the only meat I’ve actually eaten here is chicken, so we have that a lot.

Just today she was worried that we were running out of eggs. She said (translated) “If we don’t have eggs, what will you eat?” haha I eat A LOT of eggs. It is good that I love eggs and that they have good protein. Mmm delish

AND a few days ago, she actually let me cook my own eggs!!!! I made over easy instead of fried, and now she is starting to cook me over easy eggs. Sah-weet.

Now that my “my apa is awesome” schpeal is over…. I figured I’d update you on some of the other things that are going on here:

-I’m really sorry if I’m not responding to emails. The internet here is kinda slow, so getting and reading emails takes some time, which I usually don’t have a lot of.
-I got more letters and a package from home! You all know who you are and you’re the greatest!
-The cannabis plant grows wild here. Everywhere. It is weird to see it as you’re just walking down the street. (I’m not 100% sure that I’d recognize it, but some of the guys in my group pointed it out and now I see it everywhere haha)
-I’m not sick anymore (knock on wood)

That’s all for now.

Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment