Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy International Women's Day

I thought it was time for me to write a blog. I have not written in a
while. My reasons haven't changed. Nothing exciting has happened. I
got to wash dishes today! Having four younger sisters usually means
that I don't get to help at all, but due to the frantic
getting-ready-to-go-guesting status of most of the family, I just did
it. And I managed to not mess up my manicure too much. Another reason
that I haven't written a blog in a while is that I've been sick. For a
solid week. Being sick in Kyrgyzstan is so inconvenient. I would
seriously do bad thing for a Walgreen's. I had a really bad sinus
infection with ear ache, sore throat and I think a touch of
bronchitis. I refused to call the PCMO because I didn't want to start
round eight of antibiotics. I missed a few days of school, but about a
quarter of my students were apparently out sick, too. and another
quarter were sick but came to school anyway. I had to endure a week of
listening to my host dad tell me that I got sick because I wore flats
to school one day. It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that kids
at school are sick, two of my host sisters are sick, and my immune
system has been completely destroyed. I has to be the shoes thing.
Then, this morning, Ata was sick, too. I couldn't resist and asked him
what shoes he had been wearing. He laughed at me, but I can't help it
and my smart-aleckness just pops out. I also had to endure a week of
turning down remedies and cures. I'm sorry, but I'd have to have one
foot in the grave and another on a banana peel before I consented to
rub sheep fat (or goose fat) on any body part. And I'm not rubbing
vodka on me anymore either. Did that once for a stomach ache and we
all know how that ended. (I think I blogged about how difficult it was
to clean sick off of sheets…) anyways enough about the being sick. I'm
feeling much better now. I still opted to turn down the invitation to
go guesting today (for the first time in eleven months) I didn't feel
like a) cramming in with 12 other people into a two door Lada b)
staying out until midnight when I have school tomorrow c) explaining
to forty more people why I'm not eating bread (giving bread up for
Lent has been really interesting) or d) turning down besh barmak.
Again. So I stayed home with three of my host sisters. As he was
walking out the door, Ata told me I was the kyrgyz equivalent of "in
charge" haha! My host sisters are great. It still occasionally strikes
me how similar teenage girls are here and in America. They watch MTV,
borrow each other's clothes, and put off doing chores until the
absolute last minute. Love it.

Being sick has allowed me to finish all the seasons I have of How I
Met Your Mother, reread Jane Eyre for the third time in country,
finish a crocheted market bag, and watch a ton of movies. And I mean a
TON of movies. Mostly they just turned into background noise the past
week, but still, I thought we'd play a little game. I'm going to give
a quote from ten of the movies I watched this week and see if you can
guess them all. If you can, you're awesome. If you can't you're still
awesome.
1. "anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission,
quest, thing."
2. "certainty of death, small chance of success.. What are we waiting for?"
3. "his son chico"
4. "you know what we need man? Some rope." "absolutely. what are you, insane?"
5. "I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans!"
6. "I can't believe I brought my real parents to our wedding."
7. "They refused to give me their names, but their ranks are nine
lieutenants, five captains, three majors, and one very fat colonel who
called me a 'cheeky fellow.'"
8. "I swear to god, if I even feel somebody behind me there is no
measure to how fast and how hard I will bring this fight to your
doorstep."
9. "We got a German here who wants to die for his country. Oblige him."
10. "This is hockey, there is no batter. Idiot."

I know, I'm super cool, right.
Oh! I can't believe I haven't written about this yet! I'm coming home!
Mom bought the ticket! I'll be back in the states from the 30th of
June to the 25th of July! Sweet!
We need to start making plans!

See you all very soon!
Miss you
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

2 comments:

  1. allright... ill take a shot... and by shot i mean i will ruin it for everyone else because im a movie nerd from hell

    1. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship
    2. Lord of the Rings: Return
    3. Finding Nemo
    4. Boondock Saints
    5. Super Troopers
    6. Mr and Mrs Smith
    7. The Patriot
    8. Bourne Identity
    9. Inglorious Basterds
    10. Mighty Ducks


    Bow to my nerdness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww crap, Carl beat me. I only got the LOTR ones, Boondock Saints, Mr&Mrs Smith, and the Patriot.

    ReplyDelete