Friday, February 5, 2010

I having a sneaking suspicion that a) we are in an accelerated time warp or b) God is playing with the time just to mess with us :-)

My lovely sister posted a blog of notes to herself for the first few days of February. I thoroughly enjoyed it at thought I would borrow her idea and do my own. This is a lists of things I have learned so far in February. (or relearned, as it may be):

1.note to self: the absorbance of notebook paper as tp is negligible. Always carry tissue.
2.note to self: do not laugh when a student says a word in kyrgyz that sounds dirty in English, because then you have to explain why you laughed. (I won’t write it here, because of some of the delicate eyes that read this, but if you really wanna known, ask me to say mud in kyrgyz)
3.note to self: never squeeze the air out of a bag of flour.
4.note to self: when translating songs in an English club, be sure to not let your students pick the most irritating song in the universe because you have to listen to it about fifty eleven times to translate it.
5.note to self: find a better way to avoid watching animals get slaughtered. If you cover your eyes at that part in the video of your uncle’s wedding, you will never, ever live it down and your host father will tell everyone you know, and they will laugh at you.
6.note to self: “vegetarian” food does not always mean “vegetarian.”
7.note to self: stop falling down
8.note to self: when you unplug the cell phone that you use for internet before it disconnects and your computer gets the blue screen of death.. twice… don’t do it again
9.note to self: know who you are, and who people refer to you as. If you ignore a three year old when they say “desda” (jessika) they will just keep saying it louder until you realize that they are talking to you.
10.note to self: if it looks like poop, it is probably poop. No further investigation needed.
11.note to self: don’t spill cocoa powder.
12.note to self: find a way to remove spilled cocoa powder from carpet.
13.note to self: if 9th grade boys are in a group laughing hysterically, they can not possibly be up to any good.
14.note to self: if you burn your sisters a cd of music, make sure you like the music because they will play it nonstop. (the twilight soundtrack)
15.note to self: if water is frozen, pee is too. be careful in the outhouse.

Hope you enjoyed that. As a side note, I wanted to make an observation of something that struck me today. You do not necessarily have to know something to be able to teach it. For example, you all know that I can not carry a tune in a bucket, yet I taught 9 classes Christmas carols. And the metaphor to describe my dancing skills has yet to be uttered, but did I not just spend the last hour teaching my girls’ club how to dance. Watching Footloose with my host sisters was a bad idea, they have been pestering me to teach them American dances ever since. So, today I taught them the electric slide and the cha-cha slide. Mind you the last time I danced to either of them was at Sarah’s wedding, and that was how long ago? Oh well, it was the most appropriate American dance that I could do, and they seemed to really enjoy it.

I’m getting ready for our slumber party tomorrow, so wish me luck! (later today, actually)

Miss you
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
j

1 comment:

  1. Notes to Jess: Kris and I just got a good aprroximately 45 minute laugh at the vision of you when the flour hit you in the face. Lets just say our impression of you was the same as Dads impression of you when someone wakes you up in the middle of the night LOLLLLLLL.

    Also- i got a good giggle at the tought of you doing any dance and please dont let any of those poor children every come to america and have them tell an American that an American taught them those songs because they will hunt you down and shoot you. mmkthnx

    ReplyDelete