Thursday, January 7, 2010

A blog about nothin'

7 January 2010

I just typed November 2009 instead of January 2010. sigh… where does the time go? I’m sure I’m probably boring you all silly with such frequent blogs, but having internet in my village makes it so much easier. Nothing at all has been going on, really, and I am still writing. I wonder why that is? It is snowing today. Again. I was hoping we’d gotten past the worst of the winter weather. My family keeps telling me how warm this winter has been compared to others. I guess I’m still a southern girl at heart, because I can’t make “warm” and “snow” go together in my mind. If this is a “warm” winter, then I guess I got really lucky because to me it is cold. I shudder to think what a cold winter would be like. I thought winter would be really hard to deal with, what with staying indoors, but thus far, it has been easier than I thought. Maybe it is because it seems like there is always something going on? My family had a huge party, partly for new years, partly for Kaciet’s birthday, and all the extended family came. There were like 30 people in my house. It was overwhelming, but I managed to have a good time. For one thing, there were actually people my age. Granted, all the young women that are my age are married and have kids, but at least I wasn’t stuck in that weird gap between the ages. I had a fun time trying to get my one host aunt from Bishkek to realize that I do not speak Russian. She must have been told forty seven times by me, and the rest of my family that I speak Kyrgyz, but she lives in the city and normally only speaks Russian, so it took her a while to realize. She, along with most of the family thought that I’m fascinating, and my room turned into an exhibit. They love that I put pictures and the cards from home on my wall. I don’t get it. I really don’t think I am that interesting of a human being, but I suppose it IS kinda like being at the zoo, seeing something that you’ve never seen before haha. My aunt brought presents for the whole family for new years. I got a really pretty necklace, and some lipstick. It is actually a color that I will wear, which is surprising coming from someone who had never met me. That ought to make momma happy, since she’s only been telling me that I need more color since, oh, let me think, the first time I ever wore makeup. Haha Speaking of makeup, I’m starting my girls’ club tomorrow with a party. We’re gonna do makeovers and do all the girly slumber party type stuff, minus the slumber party. It will be weird for me helping the girls with makeup, since I’m no expert myself, but Heidi is coming up for a visit, and is gonna help out. I wanted to do manicures and stuff, too, but that will have to wait for another time because we don’t have a whole lot of time tomorrow afternoon for the party. I’ve realized that the condition of my nails corresponds to my mood. When I’m in a bad mood, giving myself a manicure perks me up (I know! I am such a girl…) and when I’m in a good mood, my nails are much more likely to look ragged. Weird, huh? Well, Heidi is coming back with me from the city tomorrow, so I’ve got to straighten up my room so Apa won’t flip out haha (just like being at home). I know. This blog was such a waste haha. I figured I should share my nothing-going-ons with you.

Miss you
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment