Tuesday, January 26, 2010

and I think to myself, what a wonderful world

22 January 2010

This has been such a fantastic week! The sun is shining, today is warm (and that is completely relative by warm I mean maybe above freezing?) I am in a great mood and just had to share. I’ve got a break before my afternoon classes and thought I would take the time to tell you how awesome this week has been:

My director and zavuch (vice principal) observed our seventh grade class on Monday and gave us a “5” which is like an A! She loved our teaching style and said that our lesson was so good that not only the kids understood, but so did she and she does not speak English. So next week we’re starting an English Club for the teachers! Being honest, the class’ theme was “weather” which is not a hard theme to teach, so we can’t really take that much credit, but it is still cool that my director liked it.

My little brother told me I was awesome.

On Wednesday, thirty girls came to girls’ club. Today thirty three came! Today, we were talking about what problems the girls have, and what things they want; some things that they said were that they wanted an English Club, a Computer Club, a volleyball club, and a dance club. (they also mentioned some other, more serious problems and issues, but I promised I wouldn’t talk to other people about what they told me:-) So, next week we’re gonna talk about how they can get the things they want. I’m super excited Also, as I was using one of my free periods to prepare for the club, a group of boys asked if they could participate or have their own club! How awesome is that?

This week I made food-gasmic cinnamon rolls and vegetarian fried rice that was a huge hit with the family- my picky sister ate TWO helpings! I also make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. They were good, but a little burnt because I got distracted talking to my sisters. I’ll take that trade though, bonding with my sisters for crunchy cookies. Haha

I’ve learned half the words to my favorite Kyrygz song, and I’m still practicing.

Today 100% of my students in all classes did their homework! Our rule is that the kids that don’t do their homework have to clean the floor, so today we had no one to clean the floor! I love that problem! Haha

My hair has gotten long enough that I can manage a single French braid and I did my hair in sort of a French twisty thing that looks really cute and hides the grease really well. Yay!

And I have two days in front of me filled with beautiful nothingness. Aside from washing laundry and straightening my room, I have nothing to do this weekend and it shall be lovely!

Miss you
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment