Saturday, September 26, 2009

"i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints"

25 September 2009

The title of this is just the songs lyrics that are playing right now.

It is Friday, almost 9pm, and I’m settling in for the night. How drastically my life has changed in the past year! I’d just be starting ready to go out a year ago. Alas, here I am… in Kyrgyzstan, at 9 on a Friday; I just had my nightly battle with the humongous spider that guards our outhouse, while wearing my headlamp, with my pants tucked into my socks… could I get more sexy? Haha Now I’m sitting in bed under my snuggie (amallie told me they came out with designer patterned snuggies?!?!?! Sweeeeet), writing this, and trying to decide if I’m gonna get up early and go the city to the internet café so I can attempt to chat with some people before coming back here to do laundry. What an exciting weekend!

I made dinner for my host family tonight. I made vegetarian taco pasta casserole, with soy meat. Mmmm I thought it was good. My host parents and two host sisters liked it, the other two, not so much. It wasn’t as good as the chili, but it was okay. I need ideas for other American food to make. I also made carrot cake for the first time, and if I may say so, I make really good carrot cake, from scratch. It was about as popular as the actual meal. Most Kyrgyz people don’t like food with cinnamon, because they think it is spicy. Oh well, more for me! Haha

Everything has gone topsy-turvy again. I feel like that has happened every three to six months for the past few years, though. And by everything, I mean my outlook on life here, my opinions, etc. When I first came to site to visit, I wasn’t sure if I was gonna like it (understatement of the century). When I moved here, it was rough at first, and I wanted to spend a lot of time with other volunteers, I stayed the night in the city almost every weekend. I’ve only spend the night in the city one weekend this month, and that was because I couldn’t get into my room. Don’t get me wrong, I still like the other volunteers and like getting to hang out with other Americans, but I could take it or leave it. I don’t miss it as much as I thought I would. (I still miss all of you loads, though, don’t worry) I also was unsure if my counterpart and I would get along when I first started, and now I feel like we understand each other a lot better. We went to a teacher training today in the rayon center, and we went to lunch afterward. It was the first time that we’ve done anything together that wasn’t Peace Corps or teaching related, the lunch, I mean. It was nice to get to talk to her about non-school related things. Granted our conversations can’t get very deep because my Kyrgyz and her English make communicating a bit difficult, but we’re learning how to. I’m not sure that we’ll ever be best friends, because our lifestyles and priorities are so different, (she’s a married, mother of three,) but we are definitely getting closer.

And now for something completely different:

My random thoughts of the today:

My hypothetical children that I’ll most likely never have (at least not in the next five to ten years) will never play with toy guns, and not because I’m anti-guns, but because I find it immensely irritating to be “killed” by a three year old fifty eleven times a day.

Food tastes better made from scratch

My music collection has doubled since coming to country.

I’m having a hard time deciding which I hate more- geese or chickens

Tomorrow (today) will be six months since I left Kentucky

My random cravings of the week: carrot cake (check) and tuna casserole

We heard that some of the K-18s got their invitations and you have no idea how excited I am for them!

I’m saving up to buy: a rice cooker and an awesome Kyrgyz winter coat

Three cups of coffee is my minimum requirement to be awake enough to go to school every mornin’. And that’s bad instant coffee, too, so you know I’m desperate. haha

Alright, well, I’m gonna try to finish up some letters and such,

Miss you loads,

Love from Kyrgyzstan, six months in,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment