Friday, September 11, 2009

8 September 2009

I experienced the first frost of the season today. Truthfully, I like the frost here about as much as I like the frost at home, which is… not at all. Being 1500meteres above sea level (according to my Ata) sucks. Haha Suffice it to say, if… scratch that… when I make it through this winter, I’ll be just about unstoppable.

My “sinus infection” has turned into bronchitis according to the PCMO, so I’m picking up another antibiotic and inhaler today so I can get over this junk in my lungs and feel better! It is the strangest feeling. I kinda had the symptoms of a sinus infection, but it’s different. I don’t understand how my nose can be congested, runny, and so dry that it bleeds all in the same day. The direct correlation between me feeling like this and me teaching has not gone unnoticed. My philosophy: If this new antibiotic doesn’t get rid of my “bronchitis,” then it isn’t bronchitis at all. I have a sneaking suspicion that the chalk here doesn’t agree with me, my nose, or my lungs. That or I’m just allergic to school.

I’m still not 100% sure that teaching is the right choice for me. I lack the patience to be a good teacher, but I’m trying, and classes seem to be going well. I told off my tenth form because they didn’t do their homework. It was pretty great. I asked them why they didn’t do it. They didn’t answer, so I asked again. They said it was because they didn’t all have books, which is total b.s., and I told them so because the homework I assigned didn’t need the book. I asked them if they wanted to or like to get 5s. (a 5 is the equivalent of an A in the American Grading system) They all said “of course!” And me, being the lovely, charming, sympathetic person that I am, said “oh well, because if you don’t do your homework, you will not get 5s.” It felt good, although I don’t know if it sunk in. I have that class again tomorrow, so we’ll see.

After class when my counterpart and I were planning for tomorrow’s lesson, she told some of the other teachers about what I said, and they all kinda shared this knowing smirk, that seemed to be part “yeah right” and part “hmmm” and part “huh?” I’m not 100% sure what that means.

So, today my classes started at 8:00am, and I had five 45 minute classes back to back, finished at 12:15, made lunch (a.k.a. salad) met with my counterpart at 3 to lesson plan, taught another class at 5, then had a pseudo club / tutor session with some of the girls in my village who are going to try for the FLEX program. I’m tired.

The FLEX program is a student exchange program where 9-11th graders can go to America for a year during high school. It is really competitive, so I hope they do well on the first round, which is an English test.

Oh I almost forgot- from the last blog- the vegetarian chili- foodgasmic! I haven’t attempted the eggplant parmesan yet, and might just use my last eggplant to make another batch of chili instead, it was that good. There is absolutely nothing better than a bowl of chili on a cold day, especially since I don’t feel that great.

I’m waiting on my Apa to come and get me when it is my turn for the banya. I can’t wait! It is only my second banya since coming to site in June, and a banya is so much better that the bucket baths I’ve been having. Granted, a banya is a bucket bath, but the additional sauna part makes it wonderful. Especially now that it’s cold. The banya is the only place I’m really warm!

Alright, well I’m gonna save this to post tomorrow.

Miss you!
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment