Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's been a while.

So after getting a call from momma because she was worried since she hadn't spoken to me or read any new blogs in a whole two weeks, haha (what a mom. lol) I figured I should probably write a new little not and catch you all up on what i've been up to.

So, here it goes. I left my village on the 12th, planning on visiting the south for a week and heading back on the 18th. I get about halfway from Karakol to Bishkek and I get a call from Martha, the volunteer whose camp I was going to be observing. It turns out that two of the volunteers who were supposed to be working the camp were unable to make it, and she wanted to know if I could help out and cover the sessions. Of course! So, I went to Osh for the weekend, met up with some awesome people, and helped Heidi celebrate her birthday. I was told by everyone that when in the south, I had to try shashlik. A shashlik is basically a kabob with just meat that is grilled. I know what you're thinking. "jessika- you don't eat meat. isn't that a bad idea?" you would be right. I succumbed to the urge to try one, it was pretty good, but my stomach revolted. I guess it just doesnt know what to do with meat anymore, so... Jess got sick. It sucked, but it only lasted a couple of days, and then I was all better!

I headed up from Osh to Jalalabad on sunday, had an amazing spaghetti dinner with the other volunteers, and we headed to the camp on Monday. There were about 30 kids at the camp, and they were pretty awesome. I won't go into a ton of details, but I will post pictures later. I taught sessions on Critical Thinking, Nutrition and Fitness, and life skills.

We had a huge bonfire, a talent show, and the last night, the campers all made presentations about what they learned and how they would share the information with others. It was really great.

We got back into the city on Friday afternoon, and had a fantastic chili dinner courtesy of Fritz and Ginger, they even made a pot of veggie chili for me. it was delicious. And, I sucessfully negotiated buying a plane ticket in Kyrgyz. It cost me 2500 com which is like 60 dollars, uber expensive, but it was a birthday present from mom, nana, and pam. It saved me 11 hours of travel time since the drive up takes about 12.

Saturday, Alex and Allison from my PST village came into the city and they, heidi, and I hung out and just had some general shenanigans.

This morning, we ate the most foodgasmic pumpkin samsas, and then I left for the airport. I'm now in Bishkek at the PC office writing this, and am going to meet up with some other volunteers for dinner later. fun stuff.

It is too late for me to get a car back to my village since my primary means of transportation from the main road to my village ceases to exist after dark. *couch*hitchhiking*cough* So, I'm going to head back to Issykkul tomorrow morning pretty early so I can get into the city to get my package that is waiting for me, and get back to my village.

I have to start lesson planning very soon with my counterpart because school starts really soon!!!! i'm uberexcited! Hope to hear from you all soon!

miss you
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment