Friday, June 19, 2009

12 June 2009 Part II

I just wrote a long note about the food here, and said nothing about getting sworn in as a real Peace Corps Volunteer! It seemed so long ago! Hopefully the time continues to go so fast. So. I got sworn in on the tenth as an official volunteer. How awesome is that? The K-17s left Philadelphia with 60 people and 56 were sworn in. That’s a pretty awesome rate. I’m proud of my group. We’ve had a lot of people who went through some pretty tough situation (in addition to just being here and all that jazz) Anyways, after the ambassador spoke and administered the oath to us, two volunteers sang. One woman sang beautifully a Russian song, and one man sung a Kyrygz-pop song. We had a little reception (no-stinky-fish-sandwich in my bag this time. Haha) saying goodbye to my first host family was kinda hard. I made my Apa promise not to cry that morning because I knew if she cried, so would I.

After the swearing in ceremony, as per tradition, the ambassador hosted a party at her house for us. There were DORITOS! Mmm In addition to PCVs, the “future leaders of Kyrgyzstan” were there. Basically, up and coming cool Kyrgyz people came, too and we mixed and mingled. There was a pop star, several journalists, people from NGOs, a few models, etc. It was pretty fun. I think we managed not to embarrass ourselves by stuffing our faces excessively. I was kinda upset with myself because I pretty much have become a complete vegetarian again, but I couldn’t resist the draw of the hamburger. About halfway through my stomach reminded me that it doesn’t really know how to process meat that well… not fun.

After literally racing another PC marshruka to the hotel and chewing a pepto, I hung out with some of friends from PST and opened the two HUGOFREAKINNORMOUS boxes from the fam. I got so many “someone’s family loves them” comments. I was like “yeah, pretty much.” Haha seriously, my family rocks. The people who were with me when I opened it laughed hysterically when I took out the early grey and spiced chai. They were like, “you’re family sent you TEA? To Kyrgyzstan?” haha we drink like 14 cups of tea a day here. Oh well, I like tea. They also got a kick out of the dried butter flake thingies. I dunno if I’ll use them or not, but they might make a great gift to an HCN. I don’t do much butter, and there is an excess of it here. I also got all my winter clothes, THREE jars of peanut butter (you see- I get my ridiculousness from my family, I can’t help it), my ESL teaching stuff (thanks to all the KY people who helped me with that stuff- you’re awesome), assorted spices, MY SNUGGIE!!! (I think I might have the only one in the entire country haha), toiletries, and PICTURES! I have the most adorable nephew ever, btw. I also got videos (glorious, send more), a laptop battery!, and shoes. That now brings my shoe total in country up to eleven... I probably have more clothing now than my entire host family combined. Yes, I’m ridiculous, I know.

Anyways, after opening the glorious glorious packages from home (complete with a baggie of sassy hair – they thought I’d miss it- haha- I love my family) we hung out in the hotel and just chatted and had general shenanigans until about 2am. I woke up at 6 to a phone call from home. Love ‘em

Four hours of sleep does not make for a patient Jess. I left the hotel with my counterpart (she’s kinda awesome) at 9. The mashruka was a third of the price of a cab, since I had so much stuff (I would’ve of paid it, but I don’t think my CP wanted to haha) so we waited for the marshruka and finally left close to 1pm. I listened to my Harry Potter audio books almost the entire way to pass the time (thanks Callee!). When we were close, it started to pour down rain. I can now say that I have hydroplaned in a marshruka and that it is quite possibly the scariest thing. Ever.

Anyways I arrived safely about 10 hours after leaving the hotel to my new house. While I was gone, my family finished my room! I have red carpet, light blue walls, and a white ceiling. Very patriotic, dontcha think? Haha I’ll try to post pictures soon!

Random side note: I saw a Chevy commercial for the new Transformers movie. (in Russian) and I would adore forever anyone who wanted to send me that and the new Harry Potter movie when they come out!

Okay, I’m going to try to learn some Russian. (and by learn Russian I probably mean curl up under my Snuggie and watch a movie)

Miss you all!
Love from Kyrgyzstan,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment